It's almost Valentine's Day, so why not make a sweet and gooey treat for your best gal pals! Video and recipe below, adapted from the recipes of some of our favorite inspirational women.
- Pie crust (use store-bought pastry dough, or make your own using Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee recipe, which we did before filming)
- 1 egg
- Sprinkles for decorating
For the filling (We adapted Ina Garten's strawberry jam recipe):
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1arge lemon juiced
- 1 1/2 pints fresh strawberries hulled and halved
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make the jam: combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in saucepan and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until the strawberries release their juices and thicken up into a bit of a gel.
- Roll out pie crust and cut out heart shapes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and place half of the hearts on the paper
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of jam onto the center of each pastry and spread out with a spoon, leaving a half inch border around the edges.
- Whisk an egg in a small bowl.
- Using pastry brush, dab edges of the pastry with egg wash, and cover the jam with a second piece of pastry to enclose the pop tart. Press down around all the edges and press gently with a fork around all edges to seal it tight.
- Egg wash the top of the closed pastry.
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Let the pop tarts cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Mix together the confectioners sugar and heavy cream in a bowl until you have a thick glaze. Spoon the glaze over the cooled pop tarts and sprinkle with your favorite cute decorations immediately.
- Optional: wrap up in an adorable package and show a little love to all of your gal pals!
Instructions adapted from The Pioneer Woman.